Wednesday, January 11, 2012

being robert christgau, vol. 2

More mini reviews from work. And in proper second-volume fashion, it's a pretty significant step-down from the first one.

999 - The Biggest Prize in Sport

I don't know who decided THIS was punk, but they were wrong. Really fucking wrong. New wave through-and-through, cold, flaccid, sterile. Not a wrong note on the whole goddamn album! There's nothing dangerous about perfection. Call it what it is: guitar pop with a little distortion. And there's nothing wrong with that. Just stop passing this shit off as edgy.


The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

Not nearly as scary 40 years later, but Rotten's venom is still surprisingly potent, even now that the novelty behind the nihilism has faded. "God Save the Queen" and "Anarchy" are still killer singles, despite all odds. The rest of the songs are catchy enough, and Rotten steals every single one of them. You almost believe the act, though the mountain of evidence that these rude boys were really just teddy bears is hard to ignore. Bollocks has somehow gone from the end of civilized society to a cool little party album. Maybe Malcolm achieved something real after all.


The Walkmen - Everybody Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone

Oh Walkmen. I wish I could quit you. I wish I could explain the passionate love I have for you. But I can't. You oozestyle and substance and just a complete and total aura of cool even though you really don't. Minimal in the best way possible, only hitting the notes you need to hit, winning my heart all the way. Fuck. I never could write about the bands I love. I give up.


Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star

A strange album within the SY canon. One of their more experimental albums ("Starfield Road"), yet the whole thing is recorded crystal clear, major-label to the core. Not quite at the avant stage they would hit a few years later, this is largely just great noisy rock music. Immensely enjoyable throughout. Arguably up there with Daydream and Sister.

No comments: