Friday, December 23, 2011

best of 2011 (that i listened to)

So I'm definitely not one of those people who keeps up with new music lightning-quick, listening to the next big thing the second it comes out. It usually takes me a while. Sometimes it takes me a long while. (I still haven't listened to The Suburbs). I get to it when I get to it.

That being said, this list is going to be pretty awful. I'm doing it mainly to see how many albums from this year I actually got around to listening to. So here goes and such.


1. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
2. Doomsday Student - A Jumper's Handbook
3. Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
4. The Vinyl Stitches - The Vinyl Stitches
5. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
6. The Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck
7. iceage - New Brigade
8. Boston Spaceships - Let It Beard
9. Andrew Jackson Jihad - Knife Man
10. Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies
11. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee, Part Two
12. Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Mirror Traffic
13. Yuck - Yuck
14. Deerhoof - Deerhoof vs. Evil
15. Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness
16. The Raveonettes - Raven in the Grave
17. Radiohead - The King of Limbs
18. Okkervil River - I Am Very Far
19. British Sea Power - Valhalla Dance Hall
20. The Dodos - No Color
21. The Dirtbombs - Party Store
22. The Strokes - Angles


Yikes. Not a whole lot. More than I thought I'd have, admittedly, but still...not good. I need to work on that.

Pretty good year, as far as I've heard from it. A few major disappointments (Radiohead, The Strokes), but a ton of albums that I'm going to cherish for years to come--pretty much the entire top ten, really. Great albums.

LOTS of albums I still have to get to though (Bon Iver, PJ Harvey, etc.), but I have a system I like to keep to that helps me listen to everything in my collection while slowly filtering new music through. I have a 160gb iPod that's constantly full, and I like to make sure I'm not leaving any music unlistened to. And the two times I deviated from that system this year, I was crushed. (Radiohead and The Strokes).

P.S. - People seem to be sleeping on Doomsday Student for some reason, but they're carrying on the spirit of Arab on Radar wonderfully, and I really think their new album rivals anything AOR ever did. Not everyone's cup of tea, to be sure, but I've heard damn near NOTHING about this band from anyone else.

No comments: