Monday, June 3, 2013

rubble 13: freak beat fantoms

I've never met a garage rock compilation I didn't like.  Which is pretty impressive, considering how many I've met at this point.

Nuggets, Back From the Grave, Pebbles, Where the Action Is!, Hallucinations, and now Rubble--hundreds of tracks, dozens of volumes, yet still barely scratching the surface of an almost comical amount of compilations in existence.  I keep waiting to be burnt out on them, waiting to reach that one volume too many that breaks my habit and forces me to acknowledge that most of these songs sound exactly the same.  I thought Rubble's twenty volumes would finally do me in, but here I am, thirteen volumes in, and still loving it.

So far, this compilation has been much less of a hit-or-miss than most others, especially Pebbles.  It undoubtedly helps that Rubble's volumes were released out of order, because whoa totally psychedelic or whatever.  Rubble 13 was released several years before Rubble 8, for example--a system that makes absolutely no sense, yet removes the bias that comes with listening to a volume deep in a series and assuming it's mainly leftovers.  There certainly has been a fair share of those leftovers, but nothing that tarnishes specific volumes by any means.

Unless the last few volumes take an unexpected dip in quality, this may go down as my favorite garage rock compilation of them all.  (So far.)  I'll go to war for Pebbles, and while it still may have better individual songs, Rubble is simply on another level as far as overall quality.  A fantastic comp that any garage/psychedelic fan needs to have in their collection.

No comments: